Intermec Year 2000 Readiness Disclosure
YEAR 2000 DEFINITION AND RULES
Intermec uses the British Standards Institutes standard number PD2000-1, A Definition of Year 2000 Conformity Requirements, as its measure of Year 2000 compliance. PD2000-1 states: Year 2000 conformity shall mean that neither performance nor functionality is affected by dates prior to, during and after the year 2000. In particular:
- Rule 1. No value for current date will cause any interruption in operation.
- Rule 2. Date-base functionality must behave consistently for dates prior to, during and after year 2000.
- Rule 3. In all interfaces and data storage, the century in any date must be specified either explicitly or by unambiguous algorithms or inferencing rules.
- Rule 4. Year 2000 must be recognized as a leap year.
Further to this Rule 4, the below text is reproduced from the NIST, Gaithersburg, Maryland:
The algorithm is this: a year is a Leap year if it is divisible by 4 with no remainder and is also divisible by 100 but with a remainder. Even if this first part is true, if the year is further divisible by 400 with no remainder, it is a Leap year. The following shows a pseudocode specification of the algorithm:
Given a year, Y, and a function, MOD(Y,n) that returns the remainder of Y divided by n, then
Leap Year = false;
if ((MOD(Y,4) == 0) and (MOD(Y,100) <> 0)) Leap Year = true;
if (MOD(Y,400) == 0) Leap Year = true
If Y = 1900, then MOD(1900,4) == 0, but MOD(1900,100) == 0, therefore, Leap Year = false.
If Y = 1996, then MOD(1996,4) == 0, and MOD(1996,100) ==96, and Leap Year = true.
If Y = 2000, then MOD(2000,4) == 0, and MOD(2000,100) == 0, but MOD(2000,400) == 0, so Leap Year = true
From this, one can ascertain that the year 2000 is a Leap year, but that 1900 was not a Leap year.
An even simpler statement of the pseudocode results in a single statement that is a little more difficult to follow:
if (((MOD(Y,4) == 0) and (MOD(Y,100) <> 0)) or (MOD(Y,400) == 0)) Leap Year = true else Leap year = false.
Statements contained herein are Year 2000 Readiness Disclosure Statements under the Year 2000 Information and Readiness Disclosure Act.
- Home | Data ID Line Card | About Data ID | Products | Software | About Bar Codes | About OCR | Career Opportunities
- Glossary of Terms | Repair Services | Site Map | News | Search | Package Tracker | Guest Book | Feedback | Y2K
- Phone 408-354-7733 | Fax 408-354-9533 | email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Copyright ©1997 - 2002 Data Identification Systems All Rights Reserved
- Last modified: March 21, 2006